Monday, August 29, 2011

Blog Post #2 - Analyzing the Rhetorical Situation





I chose the Purdue website to analyze.

I agree with the "things people go to the site looking for" list from the readings, and I actually chuckeled because these are things that I go to often; looking for maps, faculty, etc. I don't visit a university webpage looking for alumni news, because I'm still a student, or a virtual tour, because I'm already on campus.

The purdue webpage follows the same strong photo presence as the WSU website does. The author is implied as Purdue, and the audience is not for those who are already students. The page has more information than the WSU page, filled with upcoming events, news, alumni news, branding shopping. Something the Purdue page has that WSU's does not is you can pick you experience. If you're a student, click on the student tab for relevant information. Are you a parent looking for information? There's a tab for you too. This goes for Alumni and Faculty, Staff and Retirees as well.

The context still lies in the realm of university webpages. And much like the example of a lone student facing the camera, there is a similar photo at Purdue's website, though much less brash with the addition of beautiful scenery in the background.

The design choices are similar to WSU, highlighting multiple photo stories in a slideshow though not as busy as the three photo model that WSU uses. The second photo in the slideshow is a welcome video to students that shows an image of the Purdue marching band.



The third an image has the caption "Site seeks feedback from people with disabilities who are interested in science"


 And a fourth promotes the implementation of an amnesty policy, AlcoholEdu


 The last photo shows the Chicago skyline. At first I wondered if I had mistaken the location of Purdue, but a quick google.com search told me that West Lafayette was indeed over 2 hours away from Chicago (almost twice the distance from Pullman to Spokane.) On closer inspection it reads that Purdue is "leading catastrophe planning for Chicago area, NW Indiana". I wondered if the image was supposed to give a more urban feel to the website, or show its more global impacts.



Overall the webpage is pretty effective at conveying information. Though not specific to the needs of a student visiting the website repeatedly. Perhaps university webpages are meant for those who know nothing about the university? Thinking back on my college search (many, many years ago), I often visited campuses in the area that had pretty websites or picturesque photos - some of which I found out were rather misleading. Universities around the country, possibly even world are in the market to sell themselves as great institutions. Even University of Phoenix has advertising, as seen all over the internet and television.

3 comments:

  1. First, I think it is really cool that you added a picture of Purdue’s homepage. The comic is right when concerning our website, because it really does not have the user at mind. WSU’s website is not built around the needs of the students or staff, but to try and market to future students and maybe alumni (people who don’t actually need to figure out the interworking of the website).

    WSU’s website actually does have tabs/links that let you choose your experience. I never clicked on it, because I always go straight to ZZUSIS; however, if you click on “Current Student” then a lot of really useful links come up! It is something I might actually use now! Thanks to you I actually took the time to look at it.

    The design choice is similar to WSU’s just because it is trying to be appealing to people who look at it and considering the website. Trying to establish a sense of ethos by looking very professional and appearance of user friendly, by being clutter free but with helpful links.

    Your blog is extremely well done! I like the organization you used and how you would break up sections with pictures or videos. Helps keep the reader engaged in what you’re saying. I will be keeping your style in mind for my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all (this is going to be a reoccurring comment for you, m'lady!) Your blog is fantabulous. It's a very nice layout, makes me want to keep checking to read for new posts (which I clearly will be doing the rest of the semester from our alphabetic standpoint on the blog roll, yay!)

    I just wanted to briefly comment on the Chicago skyline "issue." Being a midwestern, St. Louis/Chicago, I can assure you it's certainly for urban appeal. Purdue is an excellent school, but it's location is at first glance not very appealing... NW Indiana is most likely not very high up on anyone's list of "Places I'd Love To Spend An Absurd Amount of Money to Live at For Four Years," so the appeal of being able to drive to Chicago in a few hours, really adds to their appeal.

    Now that has nothing to do with what I should actually be commenting on...

    On to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a really fantastic post. This type of detailed analysis will really serve you well on Project 2.

    ReplyDelete